Thursday, November 19, 2009

A woman stole from me

A woman just stole two necklaces from me in the store. I was following her with my eyes and then I took my eyes away for a minute to give her some privacy. When I started to look at her again, I noticed one of the necklaces she touched went missing. So I asked her to tell me where she placed it (I was giving her a chance to put it back). She could have said "Oh, I am sorry, I misplaced it here". She could have taken the jewelry out of her pocket and put it on the shelf (I was sure that she dropped into her pocket). Instead, she pretended that she did not understand what I was talking about. So I said to her "You just took a necklace from me, please put it back". She ran out of the door and left. After she was gone, I noticed a 2nd necklace was missing also.

I do not think that she will ever come back to the store, even though one can never be sure. I used to manage a Salvation Army store, and caught a few thieves and banned them from the store. But they kept coming back and kept stealing.

By the way, there is an interesting talk by Dan Ariely regarding stealing, if you care to listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment