Friday, September 4, 2009

Sharing with a skunk?

my small garden with a creek
The other night, we were sitting in the garden by the tiny creek and having a good conversation. All of sudden, we heard some noises by the fence. I went with a bamboo stick in my hand to investigate, and saw a big white and black tail. Richard came inside so quickly. I followed.

A little puzzled by Richard’s reaction, I asked him “This is not a cat. Isn’t?” Richard asked me if I have ever seen a skunk before. Imagine a skunk in our garden!

We have a very small city garden, about 25’ x 25’. The creek we made is probably only 15’ long. On the other hand though, we live only 500 meters from St-Lawrence River. Because of the running water in our creek, we attract all sorts of animals. Cats and squirrels drink from it; birds bath in it. A raccoon tried to sleep in the corner. Now we have a skunk. Poor skunks, not bad looking creatures. But nobody wants to befriend them.

If you make your garden nice, you have to be willing to share it with uninvited creatures, even including skunks.

No comments:

Post a Comment